Coding Tip - Modifier-25
Amy Shilliam, CPC
Modifier-25 is used to identify a significant, separately identifiable E/M (Evaluation and Management) service performed by the same physician on the same day as another procedure or other service.
- Modifier-25 is used to indicate that on the day of a procedure, the patient's condition required a significant, separately identifiable E/M service that was above and beyond the procedure/other service.
- If a decision was made for a major surgical procedure (those with a 90 day global period), the modifier-57 should be used.
- When the patient is being seen for multiple conditions, be sure to attach the correct diagnosis for the separate E/M visit.
- When billing an E/M with a modifier-25, the key elements must be documented (history, examination and decision making).
- It is appropriate to use modifier-25 on E/M services codes.
- Use modifier-25 on critical care (99291-99292) visits during the global surgical period. This will indicate that the visits are significantly and separately identifiable from the procedure(s)/other service.
- Modifier-25 can be used on the emergency department code when the E/M is separately identifiable and documented.
Public site primary links (section navigation)
- Meet PA Program's New Medical Director
- Community-Based Learning Program: A Unique Opportunity for PA Students
- Getting Ready for the PA Class of 2009!
- PA Preceptorship Assignment in Full Swing
- Student Happenings from the PA Class of 2008
- The Master Teacher Program
- LOCUS Retreat
- DFM Faculty Partnering with the Community
- David Rabago Receives Wisconsin Partnership MERC Young Investigator Award
- Coding Tip - Modifier-25
- Odana Atrium: A New Clinic, Naturally
- UW Health Eau Claire Increases Visibility