M.D./D.O. Dual Accreditation
Greetings from the Program Director
Thank you for your interest in the dual-accredited osteopathic family medicine residency program proudly offered by The University of Wisconsin Department of Family Medicine. Being a dual-accredited program, affiliated with a major academic medical school, offers a wide variety of opportunities including research and international options. Graduates of this program pursue careers in virtually all family medicine venues: clinical medicine, research, academic medicine, and integrative medicine, to name a few.
The uniqueness of our program lies in its diversity of options. Each location offers its own special flavor of family medicine, from rural to urban. Recently, some sites have begun the implementation of pathway programs offering opportunities for additional emphasis in a particular area of the residency experience. Those being implemented currently include international health, integrative medicine, maternity care, and women's health. Post-residency fellowship opportunities are availablel in integrative medicine, sports medicine, research, and academic medicine.
The presence of both osteopathic and allopathic physicians strengthens the program and educational/clinical experiences for all, including patients. The unique setting of unopposed community hospitals within the academic atmosphere of the UW School of Medicine and Public Health provide an unparalleled learning environment. Clinical experiences and classroom instruction are provided by both osteopathic and allopathic physicians. Our program is fully accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians (ACOFP), and the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
The osteopathic program is a unified, statewide program which operates on each of our clinical sites.
- Participants opt to participate in two, separate residency programs-osteopathic & allopathic
- Allopathic program includes ALL participants from a given site
- Osteopathic program includes ALL osteopathic participants from each statewide location
- Graduates elegible to take both the AOBFP (osteopathic) and ABFM (allopathic) family medicine board exams
- Graduates have a 100% first-time pass rate for family medicine board exams
Hollis King, DO, PhD
Director of Osteopathic Medical Education
- For information related to the osteopathic program only, please contact: OsteoApplicants@fammed.wisc.edu or call 608-262-2218.
- For an overview of the various locations and programs see Family Medicine Residency Programs At A Glance.
- For specific program questions see Residency Program Contacts.
- Preview resident benefits.
Public site primary links (section navigation)
Osteo Applicants Email
Phone: (608) 262-2218
Fax: (608) 263-5813
Up to 20 residents statewide per entering class
What our M.D./D.O. residents are saying...
"This is a great program for osteopaths! We are treated with respect and given the time and space to practice osteopathic medicine. Our education series is great and allows us to get teaching that is specifically osteopathic, while still maintaining our connection to the program as a whole. I also felt incredibly well-prepared for boards."
Shannon Reed, DO (2012 Graduate, Madison)
An App For That
Developed by the DFM for the iPhone & iPod Touch, Residency Rater is an app for 4th year medical students entering family medicine. More »