The UW Department of Family Medicine and Community Health (DFMCH) graduated 44 new family physicians from its sponsored and academic partner residency programs in 2018.
Of them, 31 (71 percent) stayed in Wisconsin, either for direct practice or fellowships.
Twelve (27 percent) entered practice in seven states, from Oregon to Illinois to Maryland. (Practice plans for one off-cycle resident in the class of 2018 are not yet finalized.)
Congratulations to all the new grads! Find out below where they’re practicing.
Of the 44 residents who graduated from the DFMCH’s sponsored and academic partner residency programs in 2018, 31 (71 percent) entered practice in Wisconsin.
DFMCH-Sponsored Residency Programs
Baraboo Rural Training Track (RTT)
Both Baraboo graduates entered practice in Wisconsin. Mathew Herbst, MD, is at SSM Health Dean Medical Group in Waunakee, and Paul Stevens, MD, is at ThedaCare Physicians Appleton North in Appleton.
Eau Claire Residency
Eau Claire graduate Michael Albano, DO, is now practicing at OakLeaf Clinics Pine Grove Family Medicine in Eau Claire. His classmate Amy Jo Sorenson, DO, MBA, is in nearby Minnesota, at Mankato Clinic.
Krissi Danielson, MD, and Michael Dawson, MD, are on the West Coast. Dr. Danielson is practicing at PeaceHealth Medical Group in Florence, Oregon, and Dr. Dawson is practicing at Associates Medical Clinic in Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada.
Eleven of the 14 Madison graduates are staying in Wisconsin. Of these, seven are entering practice, as follows:
- Three at UW Health (Michele Malloy, MD, Odana Atrium; Alison Couture, DO, Verona; Katherine McCreary, MD, Fitchburg)
- One at SSM Health Waunakee Clinic (Lucas Kuehn, MD);
- One at Group Health Cooperative SCW Hatchery Hill Clinic (Steven Dylan Ledford, MD)
- One at Prevea Sheboygan Health Center (Tina Ozbeki, MD); and
- One at the Aurora Lakeland Rural Training Track Family Medicine Residency (Lauren Walsh, MD, MPH).
Four are entering DFMCH fellowships:
- Integrative Health Fellowship (Yoshito Kosai, MD);
- Academic Fellowship (Anna Chase, MD, and Milap Dubal, MD); and
- Primary Care Sports Medicine (Matthew Brown, MD).
The three residents leaving Wisconsin are entering practice in Illinois (Lydia Chen, MD, Amita Health Medical Group in Carol Stream); Oregon (Divneet Kaur, MD; Mid County Health Center, Multnomah Public Health Department in Portland); and New York (Mukund Premkumar, MD, City MD Columbus Circle in New York City).
Five of the six Wausau graduates are remaining in Wisconsin:
- Two at Aspirus Wausau Hospital Hospitalists in Wausau (Hamid Assadi, MD, and David Cao, MD);
- One at Aspirus Wausau Family Medicine in Wausau (Justin Hwang, DO);
- One at Ripon Medical Center Clinic in Ripon (Danielle Fenske, DO); and
- One at Ascension St. Michael’s Hospital in Stevens Point (Sean Huff, DO).
Rose Griffin, MD, will practice at Meritus Family Medicine in Hagerstown, Maryland.
Academic Partner Residency Programs
Five of the 10 Milwaukee graduates are staying in southeastern Wisconsin:
- Two at Aurora Health Care (Christopher Cook, DO, in Kenosha, and Raheel Mody, DO, in West Bend);
- One at Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare (Kristin Dement, DO, in Franklin);
- On at Sixteeth Street Community Health Center (Sara Nixon, MD); and
- One at ProHealth Medical Group (Christopher Peters, DO, in Sussex).
Of the four who are leaving Wisconsin, one is in Ohio (Jonathan Blaza, MD, at Kettering Health Network in Dayton) and three are in the West (Scott Chandler, DO, at PeaceHealth Sports Medicine Fellowship in Vancouver, Washington; Devin Lee, MD, at PeaceHealth Medical Group in Eugene, Oregon; and Caleb Patee, DO, at St. Alphonsus Medical Group in Fruitland, Idaho).
Practice plans for the remaining resident, who will graduate off-cycle, are not yet finalized.
Seven of the eight Waukesha graduates are staying in Wisconsin:
- Two at Aurora Health Care in Muskego (Christopher Bermudez, MD, and Patrick Daley, MD);
- Two at ProHealth Care, Inc. (Jessica Buchberger, DO, in New Berlin, and Kathryn Hughes, MD, in Big Bend);
- One at the Waukesha Family Medicine Residency Program (Kristen Fox, MD);
- One at Group Health Cooperative of South Central Wisconsin (Stefen Barton, MD, in Madison);
- One at UW Health (Lauren Mixacki, MD, in Sun Prairie).
One graduate (Christina Lyon, DO) is practicing at the Little Rock AFB Family Health Clinic in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Congratulations to all the graduates!
Published: October 2018