Meditation for Health & Happiness: Overview for Clinicians
Research has demonstrated the benefits of meditation for the following conditions:
- Blood pressure
- Carotid atherosclerosis
- Chronic pain
- Cognitive function in the elderly
- Coronary artery disease
- Eating disorders
- Psychiatric disorders
- Serum cholesterol
- Smoking cessation
- Tension headaches
Practitioners of meditation may experience the following effects:
- Increased sense of self-determination and freedom, instead of feeling like a passive victim
- Less focus on self (own desires and needs) in exchange for enhanced love and compassion for others
- Deepening of spiritual life and religious experience
- With time and persistent practice, release of negative habits of grasping, desire, aversion, anger, and fear
- Feeling of oneness and connection increasing in frequency and duration
Please see the downloads section at the right for more detailed clinician and patient information.
Disclaimer: This information is for general education. Please work with your health care practitioner to use it in the best way possible to promote your health and happiness.
Public site primary links (section navigation)
Handouts for patients:
Please help us make this module as useful as possible by filling out our brief module evaluation form.