It Starts With Me: Conversations About Identity, Privilege, AND Intersectionality Lunch Series (July 2016-May 2017)
Series Schedule and Topics
Session 1: Foundations: Introductions, Definitions and History (July 7, 2016)
Slides and Discussion Questions
Session 2: Identity, Power and Oppression (September 1, 2016)
Slides and Session Materials
Session 3: Privilege and Power (November 3, 2016)
Session 4: Implicit Bias (January 5, 2017)
Session 5: Communicating about race and injustice (March 2, 2017)
It Starts with Me: Identity, Intersectionality and Privilege
- Understand common themes and detours when talking about race and injustice
- Learn about communication tool Affirm, Counter, Transform (ACT)
- Apply ACT to a real-life situation
Session 6: Moving Learning to Action (May 11, 2017)
- Prepare a “journal” entry (list, drawing, write a few sentences, and/or reflect) on the following questions:
- In the past year, what have you learned about identity, privilege, and intersectionality?
- How have you taken action in your life and work to further these principles?
- What else do you need to do to stand up to injustice?
- What resources do you need?
- Who are you accountable to?
- What are your goals for the following year?
- Learn about the difference between being “non” and “anti”
- Create an action plan that has an impact in fighting bias and oppression
Video: Are you non? Or are you anti?