Non-Pharmaceutical Therapy for Hypertension
- Maintain ideal weight
- Include movement and exercise in an active lifestyle
- Increase potassium : sodium ratio by reducing salt intake and increasing consumption of potassium rich fruits and vegetables (DASH diet)
- Replace coffee with green tea
- 10-30 gms. of dark chocolate (70% cocoa) daily
- Limit alcohol and avoid tobacco products
- Consider regular practice of a meditation technique
- Recommend abdominal breathing, slowing the breath to 6 breaths per minute for 30 breaths three times a day.
- Consider a bio-feedback device to train breathing and positive emotions towards reducing sympathetic tone and blood pressure.
- Co-Enzyme Q10 60-120 mg in gel form or 100-200 mg in tablet form. If taking more than 60 in gel or 100 in tablet, divide dosing to twice a day.
- Fish oil (EPA + DHA=1000 mg/day)
- If levels low consider;
- Vitamin D3 1000 IU daily (will raise blood levels~10 pts.)
- Magnesium glycenate or aspartate 500-750 mg daily
- Potassium aspartate 1.5-3 mg (20-33 mEq). Follow serum levels.
- Calcium 1200 mg daily
- Hawthorn Extract 0.5-1 mL three times a day or 600-1800 mg of whole herb daily.
View/print Handouts for Patients:
- Non-drug ways to promote health by lowering blood pressure
- Meditation for Health and Happiness
- Breathing Exercise to Reduce Blood Pressure
For More Information:
Disclaimer: This information is for general education. Please work with your health care practitioner to use it in the best way possible to promote your health.