Is the STAMP Study right for me?
This study may be a good fit if you:
- Are interested in learning new methods designed to help manage your back pain
- Are prescribed daily pain medication for your back pain (for example: Vicodin®, Percocet®, oxycodone, morphine, buprenorphine or tramadol)
- Agree to be assigned in a random way (like by flipping a coin) to learn one of two methods to help manage pain
- Are 21 or older
- Experience daily lower back pain for at least 3 months
What would I need to do as a study participant?
- Complete an 8-week training program (eight weekly 2-hour sessions) in your local city to learn one of the two methods taught in the study
- Practice the pain management method at home daily
- Be available for two in person visits (at the beginning and the end of the study)
- Complete online or phone follow-up surveys during this one-year study
What is in it for me?
- You may experience reduced pain and improved ability to cope with pain
- You may find you need less pain medication (but you do not have to reduce your medication to be part of the study)
- Your participation may benefit other people in the future by helping us learn more about effective ways for managing chronic back pain
- You will be paid up to $340 for your time and participation
- Therapies offered in the study are free to you
- You will be able to connect with other people experiencing chronic back pain