Conference Archive

The International Collaborative for Improving Primary Care Through Industrial and Systems Engineering (I-PrACTISE) held its annual meeting in Madison, WI April 24-26, 2016.

2016 I-PrACTISE Conference: Best One Yet!

This year’s I-PrACTISE conference was the best one yet with over 80 attendees – even the weather cooperated. We had 61 participants from the Madison area, with the remainder coming from out of town.

Generous donations allowed us to fund 20 student and resident attendees, including two students from our Physician Assistant program and two family medicine residents.

Our first-ever preconference workshop on Sunday had 38 participants, and Rich Holden, PhD, established six mentor-mentee pairings.

Jeff Belden, MD and Rochille Koopman, MD, from the University of Missouri introduced us to new ways of better presenting electronic data, and Mica Endsley, Ph.D., taught us the important concept of situation awareness. Other speakers came from the American Academy of Family Physicians and the American Medical Association.

Unsolicited comments included:

“ I’m e-mailing to say that it was a pleasure to meet you yesterday at the I-PrACTISE conference…. Your poster gave me a lot of ideas… about where this kind of research is going, giving more of the granular clinical information to go with the IE meta-data numbers. That’s useful for me both in terms of research, but also in how I am trying to currently envision my career as a clinician and researcher. Because of I-PrACTISE, I am feeling more interested to do my residency in Madison so I’ll plan to stay in touch.” (medical student)

“… and what a terrific meeting.” (representative of payer group)

“…the event was well executed and beneficial for all attendees. I look forward to attending again in the future.” (out-of-town faculty)

“You gave me the tip of the year when you suggested that I attend and present at the I-PrACTISE conference! I had been previously aware of i-PrACTISE, but it was your suggestion that prodded me to action!” (UW faculty)

“Congratulations on the successful I-Practise meeting. The … sessions … were great. While I love the venue (who doesn’t like looking out at the lake) in many ways I think the conference has matured to the point that it is time to grow. I’m thinking it would be best to not “hide our light under a barrel”. (AMA representative)

“Thank you for organizing such a terrific conference. I am in my second year here at Madison and am excited to have met a community of people on campus working on healthcare operations. I found the detailed analysis of EHRs extremely interesting. My research agenda is focused on primary care operations, and I would love to explore possibilities for collaboration.” (industrial engineer at UW School of Business)

Save the date: Our 2017 conference will be April 9-11, 2017, at the Pyle Center in Madison.

Videos

Matching EHR Tool to Task: Making it Easier to Care – Richelle J Koopman, MD, MS and Jeffery L Belden, MD

Situation Awareness in Healthcare – Mica Endsley, PhD

Matching EHR Tool to Task: Making it Easier to Care  – Richelle J Koopman, MD, MS and Jeffery L Belden, MD

Presentations

Conference Schedule

Accreditation

Accreditation Statement: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Wisconsin Medical Society through the joint providership of St. Mary’s Hospital, the UW Department of Family Medicine and Community Health and the UW Center for Quality and Productivity Improvement. St. Mary’s Hospital is accredited by the Wisconsin Medical Society to provide continuing medical education for physicians.

Credit Designation Statement: St. Mary’s Hospital designates this live activity for a maximum of 15.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.

Location & Accommodations

pyle-lowellConference is held:
The Pyle Center
702 Langdon St.
Madison, WI 53706
608/262-1122

Lodging at:
The Lowell Center
610 Langdon St.
Madison, WI

• call (866) 301-1753 toll-free
  • contact The Lowell Center Guest Services at the Front Desk: (608) 256-2621
  • Email: lowell@ecc.uwex.edu.
  • 610 Langdon Street, Madison, WI 53706

A valid credit card is required to book a room. When you make your reservation, please include any special requests such as accessibility needs for persons with disabilities, state-rate qualifications, or parking permits. For safety and security purposes, please don’t include credit card numbers in any e-mail correspondence.

Check-In time is 3:00 p.m. Check-out is 11:00 a.m.

Canceling Your Reservation Policy: At no charge, you may cancel your room by 6:00 p.m. the day before your check-in date.

Conference attendee- Group: I-PrACTISE

You may also use our online reservation system: Group Reservations

About the Conference

This collaborative, which was started by the late Ben-Tzion Karsh, Ph.D., has brought together primary care clinicians and industrial engineers over a 14 year period to use the tools and methods of engineering to improve the quality of primary care while improving the quality of work life for clinicians and staff.