Monies from the Brillman Fund are to be used in the spirit of Lester Brillman, MD to foster and sustain student interest in Family Medicine by supporting awards and activities that highlight the breadth and depth of the specialty.
All requests for awards or funding will be reviewed by the Director of Medical Student Education or designee. Yearly funding is contingent upon the Fund’s financial performance and disbursement is governed by policies as set forth by the University of Wisconsin Foundation.
Currently recognized annual awards include Brillman Scholarships, Brillman Leadership and Advocacy Award and the Brillman Mentorship in Family Medicine Award.
In addition, financial support can be granted to students for the following purposes:
- Conference registration
- Travel expenses to attend approved conferences
- Educational expenses associated with DFMCH sponsored or approved events (BLSO) or scholarly posters
- Stipends for student research in the Summer Student Research and Clinical Assistantship program (SSRCA)
Students seeking funding should meet the following criteria:
- Active enrollment as a student in good standing at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
- Demonstrated commitment to Family Medicine as a specialty choice
- Student Services and course directors’ approval for absences from curriculum
Conference and travel expenses may be supported for attendance at the following meetings:
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM) Annual Conference
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine Conference on Medical Student Education (STFM MSE)
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) National Conference of Family Medicine Residents and Students
- Family Medicine Midwest Conference (FMMC)
- North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG)
- Other Family Medicine conferences at the discretion of the Director of Medical Student Education
Funding preference is given to students who will be presenting scholarly work.
Students should seek alternative funding from other sources first if available.