The Wausau Family Medicine Residency Program is academic partners with the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. The program is sponsored by Wisconsin Northern and Central (WiNC) GME Consortium.
Located in the heart of Wisconsin, the Wausau Family Medicine Residency Program offers robust unopposed single specialty training in a welcoming community. We are one of the longest-standing family medicine residency programs in Wisconsin, graduating 200+ physicians. We are supported by Aspirus Wausau Hospital, an award-winning and rapidly growing system that serves patients across northern and central Wisconsin, as well as the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
For more information, visit the Wisconsin Northern and Central (WiNC) GME Consortium website.
As a Wausau resident, you will gain intensive, progressive learning experiences in a setting that brings state-of-the-art resources to meet the health care needs of a rural community. Our program provides vigorous experiences in both outpatient and inpatient, working alongside highly skilled healthcare professionals.
- Accredited to train both osteopathic and allopathic physicians
- 15 residents; 5 per year
- MD and DO faculty
- The only full time single specialty located at Aspirus Wausau Hospital
- Academic partners with both University of Wisconsin Department of Family Medicine and Community Health and Medical College of Wisconsin
- Residency Start Date: June 19, 2023
- Current Salaries: $63,500 for PGY1, $65,600 for PGY2, $67,650 for PGY3
- Professional Development Funds: Each resident will receive $1,000 in each of the PG 1, 2, and 3 training years.
- Professional Development Days: 5 days each for PG-2 and PG-3
- Personal Time Off: 20 days each for PG-1, PG-2, and PG-3
Wausau Family Medicine Residency Clinic
Located on the Aspirus Wausau Hospital campus, Aspirus Wausau Family Medicine is the residency’s home base. Clinic highlights include:
- Diverse population including
- Whole families, from infants to elderly
- Persons living with HIV
- Southeast Asian families
- Gender affirming care
- Spacious, modern facilities built in 2011
- The Patient Centered Medical Home care model
- Epic electronic record
- Dedicated training and meeting spaces
- On-site education staff passionate about resident education
As a resident, you will:
- Maintain your own panel of clinic patients, focusing on continuity
- Provide comprehensive care that includes underserved and diverse populations
- Have optional opportunities in
- Addiction medicine
- Gender affirming care
- HIV care
- Medical student teaching (including Medical College of Wisconsin-Central Wisconsin located on the Aspirus campus)
- Enjoy excellent work-life balance including wellness days, retreats, and no 24-hour call
- Experience rigorous inpatient hospital medicine training from experienced core faculty, community faculty physicians, and hospitalists – including many graduates from our program
- Experience excellent training in the rural communities of Central Wisconsin through both required and elective opportunities
- Be an active member of the learning process in the maintenance and ongoing development of curriculum
- Be able to choose electives to build experiences to suit your interests
- For osteopathic residents, gain extensive training in osteopathic manipulative therapy including dedicated OMT clinics directly supervised and taught by core faculty
Wausau’s quality of life ranks among the best and safest in the nation for communities of its size. You will experience that special hometown feeling when you visit one of the specialty shops, organic grocery stores, or one of our many farm-to-table restaurants. You can listen to music in the summer or ice skate in the winter on the downtown public square. There is something going on no matter what the season is, be it a music concert, theater production, festival, parade, fair, arts and craft show, or sports event. You will enjoy the natural features of Wausau such as flowing rivers, lakes, Rib Mountain State Park, Granite Peak Ski Area, and the many city parks that provide beauty and recreation throughout the four seasons.
Medical Student Rotations
We welcome fourth-year medical students for rotations, which are a great way to learn more about our program and our people. Please contact Jane Meyer for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite you to learn more about our program and encourage you to contact us. Welcome home to Wausau!
Review the eligibility criteria (PDF) for the Wausau Family Medicine residency program.