Quality of Life
A vibrant, picturesque city of 236,000, Madison is the Wisconsin state capital and the home of the University of Wisconsin. Madison boasts many big-city amenities, but is only 20 minutes from the countryside. The city consistently ranks as one of the best places in the country to live, work and play. A sampling of ratings:
- Most Bike-Friendly States in the U.S. – Fast Company, 2018
- #4 Best Cycling Towns – USAToday Travel, 2014
- #3 in 15 Best Cities for Young Adults – Forbes, January 2014
- Finest Farm-to-Table Dining – Four Seasons of Food Blog, February 2014
Paddle, sail, sailboard, swim, or fish on one of Madison’s four lakes. Or visit the UW Arboretum, a favorite of runners, hikers, cyclists, and cross-country skiers.
Enjoy world-class theater, dance, and concerts at The Overture Center, a state-of-the-art performing arts complex in downtown Madison. Madison also has a lively local music scene, numerous eclectic restaurants, and an energetic intellectual and political climate. Many distinct neighborhoods contribute to the city’s unique character.
State residents take pride in our Wisconsin Badgers. The Football team has won the Rose Bowl in 1994, 1999 and 2000 as well as 14 Big Ten Championships. The Men’s Basketball team has won the 2002, 2003 and 2008 Big Ten Championships and made 19 consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tournament, while the Women’s Basketball team has also had many NCAA and WNIT appearances. The Men’s Hockey team has recently won two NCAA Championships and won the Frozen Four in 2014. The Women’s Hockey team has appeared in seven Frozen Four tournaments with the most recent appearance in 2017.
Madison has an affordable cost of living, a stable economy, and plentiful employment opportunities. Major employers include the state government, UW-Madison, American Family Insurance, CUNA Mutual and Epic Systems.
- City of Madison (The official website for the city)
- Greater Madison Convention & Visitor Bureau
- Good Eats Madison
- Isthmus – The Daily Page (The resource for what is happening in Madison!)
- Madison Chamber of Commerce
- Wisconsin’s Farm Fresh Atlases
- Madison Wikipedia
- Madison Click (Madison’s Web Directory)
- Madison’s Craig’s List (Local community classifieds and forums):