- The Mediterranean diet may lower the risk of breast cancer.
- Fish oil may reduce the risk of breast cancer. 1000 mg DHA + EPA daily.
- Oleic acid (omega 9 fatty acid) may help suppress HER 2/Neu tumor cell growth. In olive oil, avocados, hazelnuts, and cashews.
- Green tea may reduce breast cancer risk. 3 or more cups daily.
- Soy food intake is associated with increased survival and less tumor recurrence. 1-3 servings daily.
- Flax seed/lignan rich oil may reduce breast cancer risk and decrease breast cancer cell growth 1-2 tablespoons in food daily.
- Antioxidants in fruits and vegetables may lower breast cancer risk. 5-9 servings daily.
- Whey protein powder (by-product of cheese production, less allergenic than casein protein) may help prevent mouth sores during chemotherapy and may help prevent peripheral neuropathy of chemotherapy such as taxanes. 20-30 gms twice daily in smoothies or 3-5 gms glutamine supplement one to three times daily.
- Brassica (cruciferous) vegetables may reduce breast cancer risk, decrease cancer cell proliferation, and increase apoptosis. 1-2 servings daily.
- In prevention, may help control weight, improve immunity and control mood. May lower breast cancer mortality. More than 3 hrs/wk. Combination of aerobic activity such as walking 3-5 times per week and strength training 2-3 times per week.
- Strong evidence that adequate Vitamin D levels may reduce breast cancer risk.
1000-2000 IU Vitamin D3 daily.
- Melatonin has antioxidant, immune-enhancing, cytotoxic, and estrogen-regulating properties. 1-20 mg before bed. Starting dose: 3 mg.
- Botanicals may be helpful during cancer treatment, but exercise caution as some can interfere with metabolism of chemotherapy agents.
Spiritual and Emotional Care
- Small group psychological interventions may help decrease recurrence and mortality.
Therapeutic Review: Treatment of Symptoms in Cancer Treatment
|Post menopausal hot flashes||Medications such as SSRI’s, SNRI’s, and gabapentin
|Nausea and vomitingdue to chemotherapy||Acupuncture
|Anxiety, stress, depression||Acupuncture
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
|Pain and peripheral neuropathy||Acupuncture
|Radiation dermatitis||Calendula cream|
Please see the downloads section for more detailed clinician and patient information.
Disclaimer: This information is for general education. Please work with your health care practitioner to use it in the best way possible to promote your health.
- Breast Cancer Care and Prevention: Non-Pharmacological Interventions
- Meditation for Health & Happiness
- Audio: Integrative Ways of Preventing and Treating Breast Cancer
- Audio: Integrative Management of Side Effects from Breast Cancer Treatment
Handouts for patients:
- Breast Cancer Care and Prevention: Guidelines for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Breast Cancer Care and Prevention: Non-Drug Approaches
- Integrative Ways to Reduce Side Effects of Breast Cancer Treatment
- Types of meditation and specific suggestions on how to meditate
Please help us make this module as useful as possible by filling out our brief module evaluation form.