An Integrative Approach to Recurring Headaches
Determine if headaches are from medication overuse
- Create a plan for discontinuation of pain medication.
- Possible bridge therapy-
- Naproxen Sodium or Meclofenamate Sodium or Prednisone
- Raskin protocol-most effective for severe rebound headaches
Identify and remove headache triggers:
- Headache diary
- Headache elimination diet
- Stress reduction
Initiate preventive therapy (raise the headache threshold):
- Assess myofascial tension in neck and shoulders; refer for body work as needed.
- Initiate trial of supplements
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin). 400 mg qd
- Magnesium. 600 mg qd
- Feverfew. 25 mg bid
- CoEnzyme Q-10. 150 mg a day, for adults; 1-3 mg/kg/day for children.
- Fish oil/olive oil. Fish oil: 756 mg qd EPA; 498 mg qd DHA and olive oil 1,382 mg oleic acid daily
- Butterbur (Petasites). Petadolex 50-100 mg bid
- Medicate for concomitant conditions. See Pearls for Clinicians below for details.
- Initiate mind/body approaches.
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction
- Breathing Exercise
- Guided Imagery
- Consider craniosacral therapy for headaches that result from cranial trauma.
Please see the downloads section for more detailed clinician and patient information.
Disclaimer: This information is for general education. Please work with your health care practitioner to use it in the best way possible to promote your health.