An Integrative Approach to Healthy Weight
The etiology of obesity is multi-factorial including genetic, psychosocial, behavioral and environmental factors. Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight requires attention to all aspects of lifestyle including:
- Mindful eating
- Increasing physical activity
- Decreasing sedentary time
- Stress reduction
- Adequate sleep.
Strategies found to be helpful for calorie and weight reduction:
- Food intake recording
- Regular weigh-ins
- Commercial diet programs including low-fat diets, low-carbohydrate diets and balanced diets
- Consultation with a dietician for assistance with menu planning or navigating a commercial weight loss plan.
Evidence suggests the following therapies may be helpful for weight management:
- Mind-body techniques including hypnosis
- Increased fiber intake in the diet or supplementation with psyllium, methyl-cellulose, guar-gum or flax seed
- Green tea in beverage or supplement form
- Counseling including cognitive behavioral therapy and motivational interviewing.
Please see the downloads section for more detailed clinician and patient information.
Disclaimer: This information is for general education. Please work with your health care practitioner to use it in the best way possible to promote your health.
- An Integrative Approach to Healthy Weight
- Meditation for Health & Happiness
- Video: An Integrative Approach to Healthy Weight
Handouts for patients:
- A Healthy Approach to Weight
- Protein Alternatives to Meat
- Glycemic Index & Glycemic Load
- Omega-3 Fats
- The Anti-Inflammatory Lifestyle
- Mindful Eating
- Breathing Exercise
- Using Journaling to Aid Health
- Meditation for Health and Happiness
Please help us make this module as useful as possible by filling out our brief module evaluation form.