This overview focuses on how an Integrative Health approach can be useful to support people before, during and after the birth of a child. As with all aspects of our health, reproductive health issues do not exist in isolation; focusing on fertility, prenatal care, post-pregnancy concerns, and other such issues must occur in conjunction with a focus on each person as a whole. What really matters to them, and what gives them meaning, aspiration, or purpose? Integrative Health emphasizes mindful awareness and general self-care along with conventional and integrative approaches to health and well-being. The Circle of Health highlights eight areas of self-care: Surroundings; Personal Development; Nutrition; Recharge; Family, Friends, and Co-workers; Spirit and Soul; Mind and Emotions; and Physical Activity. The patient narratives included in “Reproductive Health: An Integrative Approach”, focused on a couple wanting to start a family, provides an example of how Integrative Health might inform this important area. Research has also shown success with certain complementary approaches, ranging from using mind-body tools or acupuncture to taking dietary supplements or exploring body-based therapies.
Please see the downloads section for more detailed clinician and patient information.
Disclaimer: This information is for general education. Please work with your health care practitioner to use it in the best way possible to promote your health.
- Reproductive Health: An Integrative Approach
- Personal Health Inventory – Reproductive Health, Alli
- Personal Health Inventory – Reproductive Health, Juan
- Books Your Patients May Be Reading about Different Perspectives on Childbirth
- Breastfeeding Tips and Resources: Getting Families Off to the Right Start and Keeping Them on Course
- Common Complaints in Pregnancy
- Supplements Used in Prevention of Preeclampsia and for Labor Preparation
- Tools for Supporting Natural Childbirth
- Treating Postpartum Depression
- An Integrative Approach to Feeding Your Baby
- Non-Drug Ways to Treat Post-Partum Depression
- Probiotics during Pregnancy to Prevent Infant Allergy
- Integrative Approaches to Promoting Labor in Pregnancy
Please help us make this module as useful as possible by filling out our brief module evaluation form.